Monday, June 11, 2018

Monday June 11th, 2018


The environment is incorporated into many aspects of every day life here. It seems that nature is relatively undisturbed as far as urban development goes and it seems to be common that people of all ages respect it. There does not seem to be a lot of trash on the road ways or in the ditches. Every where looks very clean aside from old trailers or heavy equipment. In Peoria, there does not seem to be the same general respect for the environment as there is garbage littering the roadways. I find it very interesting that they explain many of the creations and reasonings as for why things are the way that they are. For example, the water beetle and how it went down to the bottom of the ocean and brought up mud to create land.  Personally, I feel that I hold many of the same beliefs and values as their own. Doing the majority of my maturing in a small midwestern town, I learned to respect elders and treat others as I wish to be treated. I also grew up with the notion that the land provides for us, so we should take care of it. There is beauty in nature that I have been able to see through the sport of hunting that many people do not get the chance to observe. I value the opinion of my elders and although I may not always agree, I always listen to what they have to say; for most of the time, they are right. The children are raised in ways that try to keep many family traditions and cultural traditions alive. The children are taught about the history of their ancestors and their cultural history in general so that information is never lost. Many aspects of the cultural are said to be dying. To combat this, many elders and parents are attempting to teach families the native language. Throughout the community there are interactive areas for children so that they can be exposed to nature and their heritage at a young age. I noticed that the Native People and the community in general are polite. I had been asked how my day was going, and had many small conversations started by strangers that talked to me as if they knew me for many years. Thus far, I feel welcomed within the community; however, I remain very respectful to those that live here. I am an outsider and in their home.

1 comment:

  1. Charlie, I am glad that you have noticed politeness in the locals and that you feel welcomed. It is important to remember that you are a visitor in their home!

    ReplyDelete