Monday, June 11, 2018

Sunday June 10th 2018


In the days to come I am most excited to learn about the Native American perspective on life in general. I find it very interesting to gain more knowledge about how other cultures and demographics view life and healthcare. I do not really know much about the history of Native Americans and am afraid that I may accidentally offend someone due to my ignorance. Socially and culturally there is an understood respect for their elders that goes without saying. Culturally there is a strong backing to save and hold on to what traditions are.   I think Native American people have a strong sense in tradition and grounding with the earth and all it provides. I find it very interesting on how certain aspects of creation are viewed and the logic as to how all matter is created as well as the reasoning behind it. I do have some bias and prejudices coming in to this immersion experience and I think mostly it is the result of ignorance and not being taught well enough about the actual happenings and atrocities that the European settlers committed. I do not think that we are taught about this subject enough through out school and are only taught the ‘watered down’ ‘Americanized’ version of these instances. I am excited to expand broaden my views and expand my cultural knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading all of your reflections from this trip and can tell that the experiences you had beyond this first day of arrival has certainly helped expand your views.

    ReplyDelete