Sunday, June 17, 2018

Saturday June 16th, 2018

This week I have experienced generosity in more ways than I can count. First and foremost the instructors that were present during the trip were more than generous to provide their time and help putting this great experience together. Next the group of awesome peers I have that came together to bring in donations to give back to those that are less fortunate than we. Last but definitely not least the kind souls that I myself and my classmates encountered while in Cherokee and other surrounding towns. The people were very kind in the fact that a few shared with us THEIR story and their own personal insight. I felt welcomed at every facility and business that we entered. During my time in Cherokee, I learned about the Cherokee culture and what makes them unique. I think that every culture and person has something that makes them unique. I feel that there is a deep connection with the land, the spiritual and family. Knowing these little facts can prove very useful when or if caring for a person of Native American descent. During this time I think I also learned to look at people and their situations more holistically instead of strictly only medically. I think that to become healthier, education needs to be spread about the common ailments such as diabetes, obesity and addiction. Along with that I believe that treating the person as holistically as possible will make for the greatest outcome because of the depth of treatment that the patient obtains from it. Taking care of the mind, body and soul are more important than most people think. I think therapeutic communication between generations can help preserve the heritage as well by passing down stories, traditions and family history. If stories, traditions and family history are not passed down, the generations to come will then begin to believe the common 'white man' commercialized story of their ancestry and heritage instead of what was really happening. Know your roots. During this time we attended a church service at a local church. I am not one to usually attend at all. I myself do not practice, so I was a little nervous but after talking with the pastor and some of the members, it was clear that this offered a way to heal their pasts and right their wrongs and grow both personally and spiritually. The first day I was not sure what to expect and I think I had some biases as to how the people would act and how the town would look and some of the sights that I would see. After having been there for a week it was clear to see that all of my biases and preconceived notions were false. I have told myself that I will start to view people more holistically and do my best not to judge or assume anything about anyone without knowing THEIR story. I think that knowing their story is imperative in really knowing that person. I have been gratefully humbled; not only from the people that I met, but from the stories I have heard, the kindness of the community and the shear realization that although we seem relatively insignificant, a group of small-town individuals form Central Illinois have the ability to impact and change the lives of many, many people thousands of miles away by solely offering our time, a little politeness and some effort.

1 comment:

  1. Charlie,
    Thank you for sharing your reflection about this experience and how it has opened your eyes to see things more holistically for patients as well as bring awareness to preconceived biases that we may or may not be aware of. This result is why I hope to continue to bring students back for experiences like this. I am so happy to have had you along for this group for Summer 2018, your personality helped make the group complete. You will be a tremendous asset to any organization that you work for, and easily gain the trust & respect of patients and families whom you care for.

    ReplyDelete